Fostering Future Entrepreneurs
Fostering Future Entrepreneurs: A Sprint for Teachers in Design-Thinking
"The problem solving and critical and creative thinking that is at the center of this program is so important with students these days. I will definitely see myself using this in my school, and even see myself using this to propose and solve my own ideas!"
This one-week course immerses teachers in design thinking and lean startup methodology concepts using a hands-on curriculum to promote entrepreneurship with their students. Teachers will learn to encourage and value creativity, divergent thinking, and informed risk-taking in their students.
After this course, teachers will be ready to implement the new Teen Startup Trainers curriculum in their classrooms in the fall. Using this curriculum, students will develop a growth mindset, reduce the fear of failure, and think of themselves as entrepreneurs. Students will be encouraged to consider starting their own businesses, whether now or in the future, and will develop an interest in and connection to post-secondary education.
- Teachers will leave with curriculum materials for immediate use with their students in virtually any course, after-school club, or summer program.
- Teachers will be paired with entrepreneur mentors and resources during the school year while they implement the curriculum and their students prepare for the trade show
- In the spring of 2019, MCEE will host a Trade Show for students to share their prototypes and startup ventures. Students will have the opportunity to practice elevator pitches and discuss their ideas with MCEE board members, university and college educators, entrepreneurs, community business leaders, college students / future entrepreneurs and venture philanthropists, potential mentors, teachers, and one another. (See photos from the inaugural 2018 Trade Show at Wells Fargo on our Facebook page!)
- Martha Rush, Mounds View High School, M.S.Ed, Education Entrepreneurship
- $80 registration fee
- $20 fee for copy of Value Proposition Design
- $150 participation stipend
- 35 Continuing Education Units
- Free lessons, resources, and materials
- Breakfast and lunch included each day
Eligibility for Course:
- Minnesota teachers of business, marketing, arts, technology, consumer sciences, economics, social studies disciplines, agriculture, mathematics, or nearly any discipline, in grades 6 to 12.
- Pre-Service teachers are welcome, but participants must have Fall 2018 classroom placement.
This course is made possible through the generous support of the Richard M. Schulze Family Foundation and the Deluxe Corporation Foundation.