Microeconomics for High School Teachers
Microeconomics for High School Teachers: Online Course
“The online Microeconomics course's content, organization, and instruction provides teachers with exactly the right tools they need in order to teach high school economics in a way that engages students and gets them thinking about economic issues that affect their lives now and in the future.”
This 11-week online course is intended for teachers who want to build or enhance their content knowledge and skills in teaching microeconomics. Consisting of both self-paced and synchronized online learning activities, this course will cover the microeconomics concepts in the Minnesota Social Studies Standards for grades 9-12.
Participants should expect to spend 4 hours per week on course materials (including online assignments) and an additional hour per week for the video conference. Participants can take this course for 3 graduate credits at a reduced rate of $400/credit (partial scholarships are available to Minnesota teachers to help defray tuition costs) or for 55 continuing education units. Read the linked syllabus below for more information.
The coursework will begin on Monday, June 11 with a welcome session on Friday, June 8. Coursework will end Monday, August 20, with the final exam between Tuesday and Friday that week. Find a full course calendar here. A full syllabus will be added soon.
- Course Instructor is a MCEE Master Teacher, TBD
- Course Director is Donald Liu, Professor of Applied Economics, University of Minnesota
- $120 registration fee
$400$450 per credit for graduate credit through the University of Minnesota. If participants take the course for graduate credit, a portion of the registration fee will be refunded.
- Recieve 55 Continuing Education Units
- 3 graduate credits available from the University of Minnesota
- e-textbook, $45 value
Eligibility for Course:
- Both pre-service and licensed teachers are eligible for this course.
- Teachers from outside of Minnesota are eligible, however, partial scholarships for tuition are only available to licensed Minnesota teachers.
- This course will only be offered if at least 10 participants register. If the course is canceled due to low enrollment, full refunds will be offered.
All participants should register through Eventbrite. When registering, participants will indicate if they want to take the course for graduate credit and will be contacted with more information at that time.