1. Who is eligible to attend the Summer Institute?
Any student in the Twin Cities metro area (defined as Minneapolis, St. Paul, and first ring suburbs) currently in grades 9-11 is eligible to apply for the program. Priority will be given to those who are (a) the first in their family to attend college, (b) are eligible for free and reduced-price lunch, or (c) are students of color.
2. Does it cost anything to attend the Summer Institute?
No, there is no cost to apply or attend the Summer Institute. Bus passes will be provided for students using public transit to get to and from the campus and breakfast and lunch are included each day.
3. What does 'full participation' in the Summer Institute mean?
Full participation includes attendance Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m (breakfast starts at 8:30) to 3:30 p.m. No exceptions.
4. What do I need to do to apply?
Apply here. Applications also require signatures from both the participant and their parent/guardian. Applications for the 2017 Summer Institute are now closed.
5. How should I fill out the application?
Please use a pen and print clearly and legibly. Incomplete applications will not be considered. The application must be printed and signed by both the participant and their parent/guardian.
6. Where do I send my completed application?
Completed applications can be emailed to email@example.com, faxed to (612)625-3186 or mailed to:
Minnesota Council on Economic Education
Attn: Summer Institute Applications
1994 Buford Ave, Ruttan Hall 116
Saint Paul, MN 55108
7. When are applications due?
Applications are due April 1, 2017. Early applications are encouraged! Applications for the 2017 Institute are now closed.
8. When will I learn if I am accepted or not?
We will review your application once it is received in our office, and notify you of your acceptance into the program by the end of April. We will review applications in the order they are received.
1. Where does the Summer Institute take place?
The Summer Institute will take place at the University of Minnesota.
2. Will there be any homework?
3. What does a typical day at the Summer Institute look like?
A typical day will begin with a morning of lessons on personal finance taught by different engaging and knowledgeable instructors. Lessons will include hands-on and group activities. Participants will also explore the University of Minnesota and visit a local company, as well as listen to guest speakers from the local business community.
4. Am I responsible for getting to the University myself?
Yes. We will provide daily bus passes for you to use to get to the University.
6. Do I need to bring my own food to the Summer Institute?
No! Breakfast and lunch will be provided each day. If you have any dietary restrictions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. Can I stay at the University overnight during the Summer Institute?
No, there is no housing available at the University during the Summer Institute.
8. Am I allowed to leave early?
No, full participation is required at the Summer Institute.
9. When do I get my $100 for participating?
You will receive your full participation award upon attending the week-long institute.